Pages

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Last of the Mogolympics

I had really hoped I'd be able to keep posting something everyday but Wednesday came around and I was too tired to come up with something for Thursday. Now it's Sunday and I'm berating myself for not starting back up sooner. I had two ideas for posts that I was thinking about doing but they can wait for next week since one is my first location and the other is the transmog I'd use for another contest.

But today the last of the Mogolympics events was posted and I've really wanted to post my outfits. I didn't get a medal this time but I'm still really happy with how things went. I didn't win any golds but for my first time entering a competition like this I'm really happy. Two medals is nothing to sneeze at since I don't think there's anyone who managed to get more than two. Although from what I can figure I think the winner managed to get two golds. That puts me in the top ten. Which is pretty awesome. But to my outfits!

Fencing



One of the things I've noticed is that when I've put these outfits together I seemed to loose the theme. My wrestling mog is a good example of what I mean. I think about the requirement of wearing a big belt but than forget about the event which is wrestling. I build up a nice outfit but it doesn't say "Wrestling." I think my fencing outfit is another example where I let that happen. The requirement was to build an outfit around our favorite 1-hand sword. Mine is the Red Sword of Courage. I love that sword. But it was also very difficult for me to work with. I had certain ideas stuck in my mind that I wasn't able to get rid of. I'm happy with what I came up with, although I think I'd toss the helm and just go without one. But while it's a neat outfit it doesn't say fencing.


Freestyle

Freestyle seemed like a difficult idea since it was a mog that could be anything. I choose to try and create Snow White. I started with the skirt and after looking at what was available from the cloth, leather, mail, and plate that was both yellow and a skirt, I choose to make my snow white in leather. I choose these legs because even though they were mostly brown the yellow color still came out. I realized later that there's another version of this skirt in blue that I think would have worked even better since blue is a color in Snow White's actually outfit. Hindsight. Anyway, after some looking and thinking I choose the rest feeling they best represented what I felt Snow White would be. I used the red bandana in place of a hair bow. I wasn't able to replicate Snow White's ruff in leather so I skipped that but thought the shoulders made a great substitute for the puff of her sleeves. While Snow White doesn't wear gloves I choose to use the colors from her skirt for them.


Equestrian

Choosing a horse was one of the hardest parts of this challenge. I choose the warlock Dreadstead but I don't really think that a demon horse is really the best choice if you want to build something that says Equestian while still saying demon horse. I love my set but right now I'm feeling very conflicted about my choices especially for this event. But I also think part of it comes from looking at the two gold medalists and seeing how very similar they are and how strong the theme of equestrian comes though for them. Mines is a warlock. I started with the robes for this entry. I was actually planning to find something dark to match the dark color of the dreadstead but the reds and pinks from the inside of the robe felt like a great match for the Dreadsteads saddle and the orange reminded me of the flames. The helm and shoulders matched the colors and added a flame effect that would match her steed. The gloves and bracers pick up more of the pink but also add some more of the orange.


Final Thoughts

It was pretty fun to attempt this challenge. I have things I'd do differently but overall I'm proud of my efforts. It had it's highs and it's lows. It's definitely fun to at last present some of the cool outfits I've created to other people and I really want to know what the judges thought of my outfits. But I also want to know what others think as well. One of the things I've noticed with this event is that it's very important to keep an eye on what I'm trying to achieve. It's one thing to look cool but it's also important that you get the effect that you want to achieve as well otherwise it's just a random mash-up of similar looking pieces.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your great mogs! Glad too be able to see people's entries at last. It was a great competition for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm glad to see other's as well. It's been interesting to look at people's blogs to see what their thought-process was in creating their logs.

      Delete